benefits of Alliances

@Norljus : Setting auto accept for IL for members of the same alliance could be hell for some people. I mean, i see some huge alliances with over 20+ members..i would NOT want all of those members to automatically IL with me..that would be a nightmare for me.

I said option, so it would be your choice whether you want to auto accept or not. And of course only when the other airline asks for an IL. Having all members of a big alliance IL with each other by default would indeed be a waste.

There are of course certain advantages in NOT being in an alliance - you don't have to abide by the rules that certain alliances like to make <_<

I think in real world, an airline in a well-known alliance would attract more PAX than other alone airline, but I have no proof. In AS, it could be later put in "advertisement" feature.

I'd bet the only people in real life who really know anything about alliances (probably only recognizing just the alliance name associated with their carrier of choice) would be frequent fliers/business/first class passengers. I wouldn't think the general passenger base could care less; they are only worried about getting point to point as quickly and cheaply as possible, with the best service and minimal connections. Which alliance won't factor into that decision.

It is my opinion that Alliances should only be of benefit to business administration.

I agree with the idea that an alliance should allow for increased goodwill for its partners.Ā  Other options could be to code share - i.e. agree that a particular flight is done on behalf of two alliance partners with an agreed cut going to the operator and the rest to the airline who provide the passenger.Ā  I.e. airline A fly a passenger to airline B's hub.Ā  If they have an interlining agreement this is where the benefit stops but if they code share airline A may get 10 or 20% of the air fare from airline B.Ā 

A second benefit could be to allocate flights across several airlines.Ā  I.e. if airline A is flying between two destinations and want to use the aircraft for somethign else Airline B could take over the route on code share with their own aircraft.

A third benefit could be in pricing - i.e. when a passenger books a ticket from Destination A toĀ C but need to stop in destination B on the way the passenger will be charged for handling of the bags on an off the flight, checking in etc so simply the accumulation of all the ticket prices.Ā  If a passenger books on a ticket from A to C via B then the ticket price and cost should be from A to C plus a little bit extra, not the price of A to B and B to C.

It'll be a cool idea if someone could create a british alliance that would connect all British domestic airlines, I think the current alliances are too hard to get into.

It'll be a cool idea if someone could create a british alliance that would connect all British domestic airlines, I think the current alliances are too hard to get into.

- why don't you just start your own alliance ?

Some of the suggestions here sound nice but they don't seem to be what happen in real airline alliances--for example, code sharing, which is undertaken between individual airlines, often ones that are not even in the same alliance. If the goal of this game is to try and replicate what the real airlines do (as far as can be done in a game like this), I think we should only adopt practices that are similar those of real-world alliances.

Here is sk's summary of alliance benefits, from an earlier entry in this topic:

Not kidding - alliances are in real life also more a (hopefully worldwide known) branding. Interlining is still closed between the airlines bilateral and there is no need (and isn't done in real life) that each airline has a interlining/codeshare agreemend with each other airline in the alliance. Joint Ventures like common purchasing projects etc. are also only bilateral and are far away of beeing an alliance wide cost efficience process. The one and only reason where an alliance (looks like) having an advantage is moving check-in at the airport together and using one lounge or so.

"the more powerful your alliance becomes"

If you get enough members, do you have the option of annexing airlines? ;)

Maybe if there's a royalty program element in the game then we can see some real benefits of the alliance. For example, all alliance members will automatically become frequent flyer program partners and the more partners you have the higher rating you get. But of course, such frequent flyer program should also incur costs as well and RPK should be one of the factors to determine the costs. Adding such feature could also open up other possibilities such as financing through points (e.g. selling credit cards points to bank), redemption demand on your flights, etc.

Also, co-location of terminal between alliance members sometimes can speed up the connection time and therefore reduced the MTC at the hub airports too.

Very nice ideas!

What about making alliances, the interliningsā€¦ that you canā€˜t ils with other members than your alliance members? So not in an alliance, no ils. In real life, i canā€™t see Qantas interlining with UNITED. They do with the alliance partner American.

What about making alliances, the interlinings... that you canā€˜t ils with other members than your alliance members? So not in an alliance, no ils. In real life, i can't see Qantas interlining with UNITED. They do with the alliance partner American.

According to their website, Quantas has interline agreements with Alaska, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, United, US, and Virgin America.  It's likely that they only codeshare with AA, but a codeshare is a revenue sharing agreement while interlining just gets a passenger and their baggage from A to B on a single ticket number.

According to their website, Quantas has interline agreements with Alaska, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, United, US, and Virgin America.  It's likely that they only codeshare with AA, but a codeshare is a revenue sharing agreement while interlining just gets a passenger and their baggage from A to B on a single ticket number.

thanks Kunmuir. Didn't know that there was a diffirence. :blush:

Just found this:

http://www.airlinesim.aero/blog/2010/03/27/bye-bye-holdings/

would be interesting to give it more thought

IOiW6IY.png

Look at the date.

I know this theme didnt really became old but this thread is.

I just believe that if the alliance has flights to connect there should be a higher rating to that alliance member airline than a non alliance member.Ā  This would be normal like in RL.Ā  Yes there are faster connections with other airlines but i have a ticket that states that for this amount i fly fram A to B to C and and it would be normal that the interline or alliance partner has preference.

I dont care which benefit alliances should give,but they should give one.

Betther connection rating,cheaper IL..everything great in its own way.

At the moment alliances are pretty useless.

Well they are not. In most alliances there is preferential interlining and avoidance of interline with competitors if possible.