What the? Where is the concorde?

Greetings, I have ben playing a few weeks now, and what still amazes me, is that there is no concorde...

Why no concorde? 

As a thumb rule, AirlineSim only features the airplanes that are actually in commercial service. So that's why :)

[shiftyeyes] ... because we also don't have crashes? ... [/shiftyeyes] <slinks off>

Ahh now, to be fair the concorde crashed cos of that MD-11 Ahead of it

fair enough, then 

I was never a huge concord fan anyway.. just wondered why it wasnt here 

I very much doubt whether the concorde would work in this game. In real life, the concorde could only operate on certain routes due to restrictions on breaching the sound barrier above land, so that would have to be programmed. And although speed is a factor in ORS it isn't important enough to justify the enormous prices necessary for a concorde flight to be profitable.

Theres a reason the thing doesnt fly anymore.

Yes, there was FOD on the runway but if the suggested upgrades in order to enhance the fuel tank plating would have been carried out then arguably the crash would not have happened. Though nothing could have been taken for certain and all condolences to the family and friends of the victims.

fair enough, then 

I was never a huge concord fan anyway.. just wondered why it wasnt here 

I thought it was a DC-10

Also when fuel prices go up, there will be no reason to operate the Concorde.  Might as well just throw the money away....and god only knows what the maintenance costs would be like.  Nice looking bird, but it would come with massive operational costs....no point to buy/lease/operate it

I very much doubt whether the concorde would work in this game. In real life, the concorde could only operate on certain routes due to restrictions on breaching the sound barrier above land, so that would have to be programmed. And although speed is a factor in ORS it isn't important enough to justify the enormous prices necessary for a concorde flight to be profitable.

Well, not exactly.  It could only operate at its full capabilities on certain routes.  That it ended up only being used on certain transatlantic routes was mostly because other aircraft could do it at a lower cost than the Concorde with restrictions, and the demand for Concorde service with restrictions was lacking.  Not many people are going to pay J price for a Y-class seat when the travel time is pretty much the same, which is why Concorde aircraft were only scheduled to financial and oil routes - and dropped whenever oil booms ended.  Seat width was 17.75" at 37" pitch, about the same as an "economy plus" (quotation marks denote sarcasm - economy plus isn't worth the extra letters it takes to spell out.) seat.

One more thing to consider - the old aircraft (out of production) are available in limited numbers and somewhat reflect a proportion to the real life production count (there are not more 727s than 737s, etc.) ... so how many Concordes would there be total count in AS? 10 maybe? Very unprofitable proposition having an aircrat type take up one fleet, if the total available count is so much limited.

I thought it was a DC-10

Yes, it's a Continental DC10 (N13067 operated as COA55 to Newark)

Back to the topic :) I think Concorde might be profitable because it's an all business class aircraft. If you are able to fill in the whole cockpit with a decent sell price, (in this case might be first class price, you can't ignore it's a VERY fast aircraft), it should be okay, but maintenance cost might be a nightmare since it's around 40 yrs old... Most of the airlines can't really fill in the seat on concorde in real life because the demand in that sector is extremely limited, but it might work in current AS system because service is much more prefer than price and people don't worry about paying ridiculously large amount of money for a flight. 

If on my server there were 10 concorde available I would do all I could to get them. Even if they burn money, I would love to operate them.

Me too.

One day, when we have a better and more realistic performance system, I'd like to add the Concorde for "demonstration purposes". It might actually work better in AS than it did in reality since the "supersonic noise restrictions" don't apply and with the new passenger types introduces soon, there might actually be a way to properly model demand for it.

1 Like

Would Concorde's engines, even at subsonic speeds, comply with in-game airport noise restrictions?  I do remember reading anecdotes about car alarms being set off at Heathrow during takeoffs and landings.

Would Concorde's engines, even at subsonic speeds, comply with in-game airport noise restrictions?  I do remember reading anecdotes about car alarms being set off at Heathrow during takeoffs and landings.

Pretty sure they shouldn't, but if we ever added the Condorde for whatever reason, it would have to be in some kind of "old time game world" anyway, so we could relax the rules a bit. Mind you, this is pure speculation on my part right now...there are no concrete plans for this ;)

Too late

Martin said “old game world“ and “concorde“. Anybody else heard him say “early 2017“? :wink:

Tuesday?

You mean tomorrow afternoon right? RIGHT?

Supersonic aircrafts have different set of rule under those noise restriction chapters.

It can still operate sub-sonic over land.

I remember car alarms going off! The multi storey car parks at LHR were comical during take offs.

As a kid I grew up some 5 miles from Heathrow, even at that distance you could tell when it was taking off. Happy days indeed.

Heathrow would literally come to a stand still during a Concorde departure, you just couldn't help but stop and watch it.