Shooting at Fort Lauderdale

So a man had a gun in his baggage from an airport in Canada to Fort Lauderdale. How did he get it past the security?

You do realize that airport security checkpoints are there to make passengers feel secure, not to actually secure them, do you?

And after just reading the news, the gun was in his checked in luggage. Why wouldn’t he have access to it?

Maybe gun control should finally be tightened and guns taken away from anyone who has no official function carrying one.

As reported on CBC News, the suspect originated in Alaska, transiting in Minneapolis.  The Canadian embassy has released a statement that there is no Canadian connection, and Air Canada has tweeted that no passenger with the suspect's name appears in their passenger records.

BBC reports that the incident occurred in the baggage claim area, where everybody has access to their luggage.  

I just missed it. I was in FLL airport on the 24th, 31th and I am connecting through it on the 14th. As Cuba is quite shocking I was planning a to fly back on the 6th but happily I didnt so I am safe here in Cuba locked in a five star hotel with no intentions of seeing the miseries outside. Generally FLL is quite worn out, badly planned for modern times, equipped badly and very chaotic so I can understand a mass shooting happened, but I can't understand why someone would do it.