Terminal

My vision has always been that a company is building into an airport terminal and other subsidiaries. Subsidiaries are building terminals somewhere else and also offers my parent company. Yesterday I created a terminal-list to have an overwiew. Result: I must be astonished, that I have build 500 terminals in circa 400 different airports with 10 different companies!

As long as IGM (for example: Your Terminal is ready!) arent install, everyone will forget, which company has build new terminal anywhere? Yesterday I found about 10 terminals without contracts, so I have lose lots of money for nothing.
-> TODO Install IGM for terminal! (Lots of player have this wish since a lots of years, this is not difficult to program and the time effort is very low)

Like everyone, you start small and try to build terminal as soon as possible, today I run very large companies and would like to move all terminals in a company to have an overview. Other reason: If a player with a lot of terminals stops, a lot of resources are lost, these terminals should be on the market!
-> TODO Expand terminal function, to allow terminal purchase and sale (to avoid cheat no price change like machines)

I would have another wish, to merge terminal, e.g. Terminal 2 and terminal 3 in one terminal
-> TODO Terminal fusion

It would be OK for IGM, but even a better tool would be to show unused capacity under the facilities list. Because you may have expanded terminal and have forgot to increase capacity contract, the unused capacity is sitting there. Right now the facilities list only show if a station has terminal but zero contracts, but not if an unused capacity exists.

---

All these ideas sound good. 

I also like the idea of a terminal / facility market. Would be great to have that possibility.

One Kaitak alliance has a pretty nice resource system on their own forum:

https://3n.rotering-net.de/index.php

From the terminal list you might want to hub list. They have the connection tool far before AS introducing it, and i think it's still better than AS since you can select directly from airport in 3N tool. I really hope all those tools can at least available to the alliance. Since a lot of their members are AS team members, i'm wondering whether Martin can use some help from his fellow team members and improve the game. 

All these ideas sound good. 

One Kaitak alliance has a pretty nice resource system on their own forum:

https://3n.rotering-net.de/index.php

From the terminal list you might want to hub list. They have the connection tool far before AS introducing it, and i think it's still better than AS since you can select directly from airport in 3N tool. I really hope all those tools can at least available to the alliance. Since a lot of their members are AS team members, i'm wondering whether Martin can use some help from his fellow team members and improve the game. 

It is cool, if die numbers (of this link) refresh automatically :)

It is cool, if die numbers (of this link) refresh automatically :)

Maybe the web can be just programed as refreshing per day? i don't think you need a real-time information. 

Maybe the web can be just programed as refreshing per day? i don't think you need a real-time information. 

Martin can take over this idea, why not :) That is not a lots of works, only create array-list and sql-query, not anymore :)

---

Good idea!

I don't know who exactly made it, but it's part of 3N alliance tool, and it has been there since i started on AS. Some team members, including sk, partim, and helios, are part of the alliance. Carstenrun (former UAB member?) is also a member.

The only disadvantage i believe is they need to manually update hubs. In my memory there was one time i checked on it and saw a former hub they had but haven't been deleted yet. but i think it's a better question to 3N members  <_< as i'm an Aeolus member  

Edit: Maybe not team members now as they are under 'Legacy Team' instead of 'simulogics'

Awesome tool!!!

I concur.

I believe it is my last suggestion. If the AS team has not implemented this proposal, I will not make any further suggestions, because many of my useful suggestions are not realized.

There are hundreds of suggestions, not many make it to the game. Don't take in personally, but there are more suggestions than time to devlop

I just read about the new fare classes before looking into this thread. My question / idea would be:

Since we're going to see different demographics of passengers in the game, wouldn't it also be possible to add a value "airport expenses" to them ? With this value in mind terminals could facilitate "shops" for additional revenue.

The size of the "shop" area would be adjustable, maybe as a percentage of the overall terminal  size. The reasoning behind this is that there would be a maximum amount of revenue that could be generated per tile / square meter. Depending on the demographics of the passengers that use the terminal, operators could use different sizing strategies. For instance a terminal for a high quality long haul area may dedicate a large area for shops since they have a higher budget for expenses.

This way it would become more attractive to build terminals and a new dynamic profit center is added to the game.

I thought the terminal system was meant to be completely redone in AirlineSim. The current model is not really satisfactory, as it is nor realistic nor bringing much interest concerning gameplay (it favors large companies, keeping the game not very well balanced towards newcomers, and it is a useless investment in temporary game worlds). Furthermore I can't think of a company owning and operating a terminal building, but again I might be totally wrong.

However it could be interesting to be able to rent space in terminals for business/first class lounges, the same goes for dedicated check-in counters, information desks and so on... Anyway, the idea of renting facilities is maybe more realistic, and may not favor as much larger airlines since no big amount of money is needed.

Actually you are wrong, at least in the USA airline partially own terminals and gates they operate from. While the physical ownership is by airport authority, the long term leases make the airlines exclusive users of the terminal and they can do with it as they please.

i think Terminal 1 at JFK is owned by several airlines. 

AS actually is good in some ways on the terminal issues; long term and majority user of the airport can really affect other airlines. You will never have the Emirate A380 case at KATL in AS. Even though Emirate should take the major fault for that case, but still, Delta definitely had some influences. 

I do like the idea of renting or even building lounges in terminal. Moreover, business class pax and higher are treated in lounges before their flights. So, to satisfy these F and C passengers, airline should provide a dedicated lounge from whatever airport they departed with F & C. Of course, they have the option not to rent lounges, but the image for this class will drop significantly.

I do like the idea of renting or even building lounges in terminal. Moreover, business class pax and higher are treated in lounges before their flights. So, to satisfy these F and C passengers, airline should provide a dedicated lounge from whatever airport they departed with F & C. Of course, they have the option not to rent lounges, but the image for this class will drop significantly.

Definitely more realistic if airline can rent terminal space for dedicated lounge. I know it's common for airlines to build their own terminal in the US, but for the rest of the world they don't.

@rubiohiguey What you said is what I actually meant, though I was speaking from a European point of view and I didn’t know that US carriers​ would operate some terminals in such a great extent ;-).

Nevertheless terminals remain full property of the airport authorities and are leased (which is the same thing as rented) by airlines. Anyway the counter examples that you cited are perfectly valid, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Concerning a possible advantage for the major user of an airport, I’m definitely against an implementation in airline sim. I know that it is very realistic because IRL flagship carriers tend to bend the rules in their favor, but this is the last thing we need in the game… We already have problems with slot blocking, thankfully we don’t have to deal with terminal monopolies.