First Class Long Haul Service Profile

Is it possible to get 4 or 5 bars for first class service profile for very long haul route?

I've selected all the top options for first class and I only have 4 bars for long haul routes and 3 bars for the even longer haul routes.

Don't think so. Try keeping standards high in other aspects like price and seats. In my opinion tho just offering economy and business is a better way to go but it does depend on the route.

bear in mind that service profile is only a small part of the rating

Do first class passengers only connect to flights with first class? In other words: If I operate lets say LHR-YYZ with a FCY configuration and a connecting flight from YYZ into ORD with a CY config, will a first class passenger from LHR ever transfer to my connecting flight into ORD?

Same thing with domestic routes under 500/800km.

On short routes you can't offer a warm meal.

Therefore 4 green bars are the maximum.

Do first class passengers only connect to flights with first class? In other words: If I operate lets say LHR-YYZ with a FCY configuration and a connecting flight from YYZ into ORD with a CY config, will a first class passenger from LHR ever transfer to my connecting flight into ORD?

I think I read somewhere on the forum, the F pax will transfer and willing to fly the C-class on YYZ-ORD sector

The main reason I go for a few first class seats is that:

1. Even if you only fill 25% they tend to break even and anything over 50% become really profitable.
  2. To maximize your competitiveness you want to (counter intuitively) minimize amount of PAX per type per plane. If I am competing with someone that runs 20 business class and 0 first class in their planes and I instead run say 12 business class and 4 first class, even if our ORS scores for a connection is identical I only need 12 pax to fill my business class 100%, while my competitor needs to find 20. In this situation I can either jack up my prices a fair bit higher then my competitor since I need fewer passengers, or I can keep prices low and enjoy a very solid position even in bad times.

The main reason I go for a few first class seats is that:

1. Even if you only fill 25% they tend to break even and anything over 50% become really profitable.
  2. To maximize your competitiveness you want to (counter intuitively) minimize amount of PAX per type per plane. If I am competing with someone that runs 20 business class and 0 first class in their planes and I instead run say 12 business class and 4 first class, even if our ORS scores for a connection is identical I only need 12 pax to fill my business class 100%, while my competitor needs to find 20. In this situation I can either jack up my prices a fair bit higher then my competitor since I need fewer passengers, or I can keep prices low and enjoy a very solid position even in bad times.

Great reasoning, you convinced me to add some first class to some A380s. What seat should I use for short haul? 

CBE, Leisure will fit very well. :)

If I am in a difficult market with heavy competition, I’ll sometimes try a few first class seats. First I’ll make sure no one I’m competing with has them though, as First is a pretty small market. If all seats fill very quickly I may expand it. Otherwise, I usually can’t be bothered. O proper mix of Y and C class will make more money if flying full.

What is in your mind a proper mix of Y and C seating? How many F would you add to try out?

I’ll usually go no more than two F seats in a narrow body, 1 row in a wide body which is usually 4 seats, and I won’t bother on anything smaller. There have been rare exceptions to this, for example I once had a 737-900ER HGW that was all F and C on a flight from YVR to YYZ. It worked really well as in massive profits, but it was the first flight I had to cut when AGEX dropped.

As far as the proper mix of Y and C? That depends on many factors. The best way to determine that is trial and error within your own network.

Few months ago I started an airline in Bangladesh on an established server. It is the first time I started F. I installed 1 row of F in every aircraft. The routes where F is being booked are very profitable thanks to F cabin. It even made routes profitable where Y and C where not profitable due to the lack of demand. I even incresed the F cabin on some planes. However on other routes F is totally ignored by pax. So it is hard to tell if my Firstclass-business is profitable and it is hard to find a balance. My fleet is to small to devide it into F and non-F and my planes are scheduled are over the network. 

Few months ago I started an airline in Bangladesh on an established server. It is the first time I started F. I installed 1 row of F in every aircraft. The routes where F is being booked are very profitable thanks to F cabin. It even made routes profitable where Y and C where not profitable due to the lack of demand. I even incresed the F cabin on some planes. However on other routes F is totally ignored by pax. So it is hard to tell if my Firstclass-business is profitable and it is hard to find a balance. My fleet is to small to devide it into F and non-F and my planes are scheduled are over the network.

Yes and this is one of the problems with F. It works better when you have a larger fleet, and can optimize schedules for it.

I think I read somewhere on the forum, the F pax will transfer and willing to fly the C-class on YYZ-ORD sector

I thought I read somewhere that F pax will only connect in F class.

No, if no first class connections available, they will fly Business. But they don’t like it. :slight_smile: