Schedules with red eye flights

I'm expanding into long haul now, however all my short and medium haul flights. I have no issue scheduling, but when it comes to the long haul routes that are over 12 hours. I'm stuck for how to do it.

Essentially, I don't know what method. I would usually have my planes fly out in the morning and fly home in the evening. But with the long haul routes, they take up most of the day and kick into the next day. 

What is the best method for organizing long haul routes? 

Thks a million lads :) 

One way is to spread flights to seven aircraft and fly each destination only one day.

If you want to match your hub waves, you’ll have to live with extended downtime.

One way is to spread flights to seven aircraft and fly each destination only one day.

If you want to match your hub waves, you’ll have to live with extended downtime.

Could you please explain a bit more? 

So you saying I'll should use plane 1 on monday then plane 2 on tuesday? 

Appricate the help mate :) 

Damn, downtime :( 

haha

7 aircraft is way too tedious. 4 aircraft model works best for me, with 2 very long haul routes and 1 shorter long haul routes on it. This model can even work very well for 6 hour wave blocks.

7 aircraft is way too tedious. 4 aircraft model works best for me, with 2 very long haul routes and 1 shorter long haul routes on it. This model can even work very well for 6 hour wave blocks.

Could you give me an example? And the 6 hour wave blocks, that is to allow for "departure slots" correct? 

This is one of my schedules showing aircraft No. 5.

I fly to 6 destinations (JNB, VIE, SFO, BNE, LGW, YVR).

Aircraft No. 6 has the same flights shifted by one day. And yes, you can do similar with less aircraft, but this works quite fine for me. The scheduling is a bit tedious, but once it's set up, it's fine.

somjMH8.png

This way I get the MX ratio down to 115.7%. Since I've just copied this over from a 762 the flights are not yet perfectly timed. Once I have phased out all my 767s, I will try to have some 2 hour breaks after each rotation to ensure that the aircraft is always in good condition.

Could you give me an example? And the 6 hour wave blocks, that is to allow for "departure slots" correct?

It’s simple. Two ultra long haul flights 2x per week each and one shorter long haul flight per week per aircraft. The shorter flight should be the one where you can do the round trip with both end turnaround times in less than 22 hours. The longer haul flights are dually 12 to 15 hour of flight time plus turnaround times. This is done on 3 aircraft, so each ULH flight is flown 2 x 3 times per week, on 3 aircraft. The 4th aircraft has the remaining one ultra long haul flight from each set, and 5 shorter long haul flights.

To sum up,

3 aircraft

ULH 1 ULH 2 ULH 1 ULH 2 LH

1 aircraft

ULH 1 ULH 2 LH LH LH LH LH

Of course you have to schedule the flight on different days on each aircraft.