Speed Override Function

HI,

i have a question regarding Speed Override function when you transfer from Aircraft A to B.

Say for instance, Aircraft A has ability to fly at speed of 870kmh but Aircraft B has capacity of 830kmh

So if you check on the Speed Override due to slot constraint, the new flight path in Aircraft B is Green - but will it still fly ok ? I fear there will be potential issue in terms of the Aircraft B not able to arrive on time due to the lower Cruise Speed.

I am finding difficulty in replacing the older fleet of Aircraft A ( B727-200 )with a newer fleet due to their higher speed capacity than most others of the Boeing/Airbus family. Any suggestions?

In many cases the flight time difference is only a few minutes and it somehow will fit into the 5 minute block of the slot.

The speed overrides also work on the lower side, so if you upgrade from slower aircraft, I normally try to NOT use the speed override. If there are errors, I normally fix them manually so that I can benefit from the optimal speed where slots permit. If the faster velocity leads to invalid slots, you can manually set a slower speed.

If you have already used the min speed override on the slow aircraft, then obviously you might run into a situation that you can’t solve. In such a situation i normally check the slots and try to find another flight of mine, that i could switch slots for a few mins back or forth, freeing up the required slot.

I find upgrading from a slower aircraft to faster is not much of an issue, but it is from a faster to slower aircraft i find difficult. So in this case if i use the speed override to upgrade from faster to slower aircraft, will that create problem for the slower aircraft?

It depends on the aircraft. You can’t replace a jet with a prop.

i am talking about replacing B727-200 or B737-200 with Bombardier C300

You know, I had no idea that the 727 had a higher speed.

If you're transferring a schedule from a 727 to a CS3 (870km/h -> 830km/h) using the transfer schedule function, then selecting the speed override option will set the CS3's speed to 870km/h for the transferred flights.  The CS3 is capable of 872km/h maximum, with a higher fuel burn.

However, depending on flight distance, you may not need to override at all.  A 500km trip at 830km/h vs 870km/h nets a 1 minute difference in flight duration.  A 3000km trip is roughly 10mins difference.  Provided one airport in the route has available slots, it may be a better idea to adjust the departure/arrival times at the available airport to prevent future hassles.