Intellectual Property

This is kind of a weird thing but it crossed my mind the other day. What are the rules, written or unwritten, regarding airline names, liveries,etc? I don't mean real life airlines but the airlines we players create. For example let's use my airline Air Thai which is clearly a play off of Thai Airways. Whats keeping someone on a different game world from using that name or is there anything saying they can't or at least shouldn't? Also if there is a ruler is it player enforced or admin enforced?

Please leave your thoughts regarding this. I would love to see how the community feels about this.

In most legal systems, if you create an original work of art (irrespective of its format), this work is protected by copyright. There is typically no need for registration. Of course, it must be original. Since it doesn't represent a real brand or tradename, there's no need for a trademark registration (which, contrary to copyright, does require an activity and cost to get legal protection). If you create something which is a parody or refers to something else that already exists, your work can still be protected if it has originality; a pure copy is of course plagiarism.

So far for the legal rule; whether you can enforce your rights against copycats is something else of course...

If you want to know exactly what changes to this based on the fact that you "create" something within the platform of airlinesim, you will also have to read the terms and conditions to see if there's anything that adds to the above or significantly changes this general rule...

Are you saying this is happening to you, i.e. somebody else is ripping off your designs?

My general response to this would be, who would do such a silly thing.

Well what made me think of it was seeing all these airlines on Quimby VI that were on Quimby V. Not saying anyone is just made me think if there was something that would keep people from doing it. Also was curious how people felt.

If someone is using your logo design, you can report it to AS support. Using your name, no.

I don't see any written rules specifically prohibit naming your airline with the same airline from different game world.

the closes we have is a guideline that suggest you to avoid naming your airline similarly to airline in same world.

4. Avoid names which are similar to existing companies of other players in the same game world.

I think in each game world, the rule is first come first serve, he who claimed the name first, has the right in corresponding world..

Having said that, it actually should be a concern for an established alliance in an existing world.

Did the existing alliance reserve the right for their alliance name in other game world as well?

What if someone not affiliated to them start an alliance with the same name in different world? 

I don't see any written rules specifically prohibit naming your airline with the same airline from different game world.

the closes we have is a guideline that suggest you to avoid naming your airline similarly to airline in same world.

I think in each game world, the rule is first come first serve, he who claimed the name first, has the right in corresponding world…

Having said that, it actually should be a concern for an established alliance in an existing world.

Did the existing alliance reserve the right for their alliance name in other game world as well?

What if someone not affiliated to them start an alliance with the same name in different world?

I really would like to see something written regarding using other players airline names in different worlds. If nothing else something stating that if the original creator ask you to switch you must switch.

There are no written rules about it. Although there has been a few cases, with ‘stolen’ airline names, alliance names and logos.

The moderators will try enforce the logos - it’s not allowed to use other people logos, obviously.

When it comes to the names, it’s very hard to judge. Just because someone name his airline London Airways, does that mean that no-one else can use it? Not in my opinion.

It’s really something that must be discussed from case to case. Usually these kind of issues is solved the players in between. Sometimes with help from a moderator.

// This is a personal opinion. Not an official statement from AS!

I agree with Banff. There is no name protection possible and also technically, it would be impossible to check all companies on all servers automatically. Hence you might have to live with the fact that your desired name is used in another world also. In the same world by the way, it is impossible to use exactly the same name.

I agree with Banff. There is no name protection possible and also technically, it would be impossible to check all companies on all servers automatically. Hence you might have to live with the fact that your desired name is used in another world also. In the same world by the way, it is impossible to use exactly the same name.

It's less the desired name more the name you created. If that makes sense.

Just because you “created” a name, how do you know your the first one in the history of AS to use that exact name?

As said before, there is no way to find out who created a name first. You can always ask the other player please not to copy your name.

I really would like to see something written regarding using other players airline names in different worlds. If nothing else something stating that if the original creator ask you to switch you must switch.

why? 

Why do you care that there is an airline on a different server with the same name?

When it comes to names I have seen others using my names, which I am not sure I was first with anyways. That is something I am completely fine with. But when it comes to copying logos and descriptions that is something I am completely against. Instead of anyone copying my work please contact me and I am more than happy to share a logo.

This is why you need to be creative in making names. I personally don't play this game only to similarly simulates real life airline. I came here to make my own airline. So I don't think similar name in different world should be a problem.