Deciding aircraft size for routes

Hi all

Have been brainstorming what aircraft to use on new routes, have been using the aircraft evaluation tool which is really useful. But its hard to get a sense as to what size aircraft to use. How would you decide what aircraft to use on a route? In terms of size... and distance, what factors do you take into account?

Appreciate the feedback, am trying to limit to 3 maintenance categories and just want to plan ahead 

Hi,

the most profitable aircraft are those that fly fully booked.

Go for aircraft that have a range of sizes within the same maintenance category. It does not really matter if you go for the Airbus or Boeing. Just don't use a 379 if you can hardly fill up a 736.

If you also want a range of regional jets, I would go for Bombardier. But that is personal taste. If you prefer Embraer, they will also do the job nicely.

Your home country can also influence your decision. I like the Antonov 148 regional jet because it is good on thin (less demand) but long routes. If I can't fill up an Antonov, I don't fly that route. If demand is higher, I use the 736 (or bigger).

Cheers,

Jan

Depends on the demand. It is more important to fill up the plane.

Start with a small jet like the CR7. Make sure, to leave some slack in the flight plan so that you can easily upgrade to a bigger type. If you’re confident that there is demand, start with sth bigger.

If the plane fills up quickly, you can add another rotation and/or upgrade to a bigger aircraft.

In general, higher frequency is better than bigger aircraft.

Gotcha, thks. Kinda hard to get a sense of what size is needed, but will do some testing and be able to swap out easy enough,

Thks guys :)