Connections vs direct passengers

Hello all,

Maybe this issue has been already discussed in the past, but I'd like to point out some findings out of my later experience in OTTO.

I have a couple questions/observations to address:

1) Do connecting passengers have any precedence over direct ones? Or is just a matter of who has the earliest booking time? I noticed many of my flight have 100% connecting passengers even for destinations where there is supposedly (based on RL) also a relevant PTP market presence. 

Building from the above...

2) Has the (direct traffic) demand been ever adjusted for smaller-medium airports? For instance I have nearly zero direct passengers on the BUD-DXB or BUD-ATH route, but full planes thanks to connecting (inbound/outbound) passengers.

Question 1) Passengers are booked at specific times for each airport, if you look on an airports page you can find that time and it is different for every server. At that time all passengers for that airport are determined for all flights that are bookable at that moment (arrive within 3 days). This might result in flight that only have bookings from transferring passenger as those calculation were done before the direct calculation was done.

Question 1) Passengers are booked at specific times for each airport, if you look on an airports page you can find that time and it is different for every server. At that time all passengers for that airport are determined for all flights that are bookable at that moment (arrive within 3 days). This might result in flight that only have bookings from transferring passenger as those calculation were done before the direct calculation was done.

Thanks, this is more or less what I meant by saying "a matter of who has the earliest booking time". Now is confirmed. 

Still I fear there is an issue with the lack of direct demand between some not so secondary airports.

Thanks, this is more or less what I meant by saying "a matter of who has the earliest booking time". Now is confirmed.

Still I fear there is an issue with the lack of direct demand between some not so secondary airports.

No, what you think you mean is not correct. It’d not who (airline) has the earliest booking tiene, but rather airport and after then it comes down to distribution based on ratings and number of connections.

No, what you think you mean is not correct. It'd not who (airline) has the earliest booking tiene, but rather airport and after then it comes down to distribution based on ratings and number of connections.

Thanks, I think I used the wrong words, I should have said “which airport” instead of “who”. I know about the airport booking time rule but I never saw before planes getting not even a single direct passenger (or maybe I just did not notice). Then I think the same rules are affecting connecting passengers from A to B to CDE… Vs direct passengers going from A to B; its just (or mostly) about ORS and/or pax demand what regulates whose boarding the plane and to where. There is not necessarily a priority for A to B vs A to C via B passengers. Am I correct? Hopefully I made this reasoning understandable.

I remember the team stating somewhere, that distribution is sorted in a way that first books passengers to destinations further away and then to those closer and closer to the origin.

there, however, as you stated correctly, is no inherent preference to direct connections, just to a better ORS rating.