Transatlantic rotations

Hi, I already have a working hub in US east coast and would like to schedule some flights to Europe, preferably using dreamliners. Now the problem is a full rotation leaves me with few extra hours left. I could fit in a short flight, but it is not as efficient with long haul plane and also I use better seats for transatlantic flights than domestic routes. How do you manage these scheduling problems and what do you think is the best solution?

I do it by combining longer and shorter Longhaul flights. If you have many destinations then this system is working pretty well.

I often use 7 Airliners and fly to as many destinations as possible (5 - 9). Each Airliner goes to each destination once a week.

Hi, I already have a working hub in US east coast and would like to schedule some flights to Europe, preferably using dreamliners. Now the problem is a full rotation leaves me with few extra hours left. I could fit in a short flight, but it is not as efficient with long haul plane and also I use better seats for transatlantic flights than domestic routes. How do you manage these scheduling problems and what do you think is the best solution?

If you're not able to do what is suggested by the post above, it is better to send the aircraft on a short hop between flight to increase utilization. While profit often is lower, as long as the flight generates a positive cash flow, it is better to fly than having it parked

I was previously based at BWI on Quimby with a large successful airline.

My 787s would either run:

BWI - LHR - BWI - PHL - BWI

or as described above use alternating days with a longer flight:

BWI - LHR - BWI

BWI - IST - BWI

BWI - LHR - BWI

Other example

JFK - LHR

LHR - JFK

JFK - LAX

LAX - JFK

Some big airports in the US can support big planes like LAX, ORD, MIA...

Is there any benefit to adding a tag flight at the European destination, such as BWI  - LHR - PRG - LHR - BWI? Is the traffic calculated as some sort of split between BWI - LHR / BWI - PRG, or is there some 5th freedom traffic to be gained? (assuming there are any 5th freedom routes on AS)

If your airline is based in the US, you have traffic rights to and from the US but not on a second European leg.

I often use 7 Airliners and fly to as many destinations as possible (5 - 9). Each Airliner goes to each destination once a week.

This is the best solution but it requires you to have a couple of planes. The reason is that long haul airliners arent that effieicnt on short haul so why make them do that? Using this you get the maximum utilisation of these long haul planes on routes where they actually work. 

Is there any benefit to adding a tag flight at the European destination, such as BWI - LHR - PRG - LHR - BWI? Is the traffic calculated as some sort of split between BWI - LHR / BWI - PRG, or is there some 5th freedom traffic to be gained? (assuming there are any 5th freedom routes on AS)

You don’t have 5th freedom rights. You can transport passengers between these airports (if your airline is US based):

BWI - LHR - onward connection with IL

BWI - PRG (via LHR) - onward connection with IL

But no passengers can board the LHR - PRG leg, as you don’t have traffic rights for domestic EU flights.

Note that BWI - PRG counts as a connecting flight and has a corresponding low ORS rating. And depending on the times of booking, you might not even be able to get pax to PRG (or the other way round), if the flight gets filled at the first booking round.

This is the best solution but it requires you to have a couple of planes.

Or you can start it with one plane and fly the destinations just once/twice a week. When you can lease new planes you just fill the schedules with the flight numbers from your first plane ;) 

Hi.. So then how do you calculate and account for maintainence time? Is there any particular calculation? Or just trial and error?

I don’t understand the question.

Just start scheduling and watch the mx ratio displayed at the scheduling page.

Spread out mx breaks over the week. Total time required will be the same as scheduling flights to a single destination.

Ohh ok thanks!