Milan Linate - characteristics

Hey,

I have an airline on Hoover based in Milan Linate and after some time I am wondering about this airport.

Is this airport just a local one with not that many opportunities to fly outside of Italy?

Cause I find it strange that an airport with 7 demand bars is not enough to fully load LIN-NCE, LIN-BRU or other big connections.

Thanks for help :)

There are many reasons why your flights may not be fully booked (service, planes, cabin, connections, network etc). LIN is big enough to fill planes.

Bare in mind you will have competition from other local airports such as MXP

I guess it is the competition of MXP and BGY what makes it harder. 

In terms or ratings, services and airplanes there is nothing really wrong with mine.

I'd asy my ratings and service is pretty good.

I guess it is the competition of MXP and BGY what makes it harder.

In terms or ratings, services and airplanes there is nothing really wrong with mine.

I’d asy my ratings and service is pretty good.

It currently looks like there’s 4 airlines in Milan. At least 2 of them use better seats than you do. And you don’t work in any kind of waves, which could compensate a bit. So improved seating could potentially help.

And read all possible threads here in the forum to learn the mechanics of the game.

Hoover's traffic demand is lower than other world at this point.

That is not the reason, seair.

I will read about the mechanics a bit.

I'm going more for a Ryanair-like system of flights, basically as soon as an airplane can take off, it does so.

Are you sure seair is not right?

I mean, on a different server, I was flying from CRL, 6 demand, basically the same flights system, and there were no issues with flights to capitals and big airports. 

You can try a Ryanair-style of course. I doubt that you will be successfull. And yes, Hoover is a bit slower than older servers at the moment but you should not have problems with connections to big airports. Check your seats and service profile. As Banff already ligned out, you have competitors flying with better material. That is the main reason that you cannot fill your flights.

It is my, I believe, 6th airline which makes it the 6th airline with Ryanair-like system. Worked perfectly fine before.

There are no connections to NCE from MXP nor BGY but I guess you are right, they probably have better seats or service.

However, if needs be, I will shift to a wave system.

I am based in BGY on hoover, and MXP on Otto  - and even on Otto I abandoned the MXP- Nice (and Marseille route - 40% LF on DH4). Probably would work with a Nice based interlining partner and connecting flights from CTA,PMO,FCO,NAP. On Hoover on my first try I abandoned BGY- BRU and AMS as well with around 60% LF. But demand does seem noticeably lower on hoover - Genoa-FCO can't take a AT7 and DH4 at 100%.

I am based in BGY on hoover, and MXP on Otto  - and even on Otto I abandoned the MXP- Nice (and Marseille route - 40% LF on DH4). Probably would work with a Nice based interlining partner and connecting flights from CTA,PMO,FCO,NAP. On Hoover on my first try I abandoned BGY- BRU and AMS as well with around 60% LF. But demand does seem noticeably lower on hoover - Genoa-FCO can't take a AT7 and DH4 at 100%.

It was said in a Info Post, that the demand is dramatically lower at Hoover at the start. It will increase very slowly

I need some help!

I switched to a wave system and there is a huge problem with profit margins. I barely scratch 19% on my longest route!!!

I have no words and do not what to do… This situation is attrocious and I will barely earn enough to pay my weekly leasing.

Please, could you help me with that? I really don't want to see my airline fail :(

How many waves are you flying? What price level? Service? More informations needed…

Margin of 19% is not too bad, why do you feel that you will not be able to pay the lease?

A320 - 3 waves, standard prices, service costs 9.15 for Economy and 40,50 for Business.

Embraer 195 - same as Airbus.

ATR - 3 waves + one additional flight between the first and seond wave, rest is the same (I should create a short haul sevrice).

I mean, I am able to earn enough to pay the lease, but apart that it will take a lot of time for me to order a new airplane.

19% is achieved by only one connection, the rest sits around 15%. 

I was always going for the highest profit margin possible - around 30% and not less than 20%. 

In my opinion, profit margin of 16% on, e.g. LIN-MAD is far from acceptable. It yields only 4102 AS$ of profit on my A320!

A320 - 3 waves, standard prices, service costs 9.15 for Economy and 40,50 for Business.

Embraer 195 - same as Airbus.

ATR - 3 waves + one additional flight between the first and seond wave, rest is the same (I should create a short haul sevrice).

I mean, I am able to earn enough to pay the lease, but apart that it will take a lot of time for me to order a new airplane.

19% is achieved by only one connection, the rest sits around 15%. 

I was always going for the highest profit margin possible - around 30% and not less than 20%. 

In my opinion, profit margin of 16% on, e.g. LIN-MAD is far from acceptable. It yields only 4102 AS$ of profit on my A320!

Any profit is good profit. Whenever I start up a new airline I dont care how much the profit is, I just want profit. Once I have steady loads, I then increase my prices on my fullest routes by 5% every 3 days (each cycle of demand) until I see a drop off in demand, then every 3 days I drop it by 1% until its back at 100LF. That way my profit goes from 1000AS$ up to 12-13k AS$ and im getting 4-5 planes a week to expand.

So do you think I should just try increasing prices?

And is it my only choice?

What seats do you offer? Standard price are wrong. You may offer best seats and service, then you can raise your prices.

Regarding margins: aiming for 30 and more percent is fine but sometimes not possible. Hence I would say that 19% margin is not bad. And yes, it can take a long time before you can afford your next plane - nothing wrong with it!

And what is the utilization of the aircraft in your fleet?