Random factors into demand

Wouldn't it be nice, if the demand had a random element in it ? I know the AGEX already does some of that, but that is a slow trend rather than daily random.

For example a +- 5% fluctuation in the daily demand. The real life has that element as well...

And while we are at it, how about "big events" that would be known in advance. For example this year there are Olympics and Football WC which increase the demand for Seoul and Moscow for a limited period of time from pretty much everywhere.

BTW, Football WC isn't held just in Moscow. There's a bunch of cities in Russia holding matches.

But I would be very happy to see "big events" in AS. Even though it may be hard to implement. And even though it was discussed sometime earlier. I guess.

Don’t hold your hopes high.

No extra demand from Rome this year :-)

And I'm guessing extra demand back to England after the group stages :-(

BTW, Football WC isn't held just in Moscow. There's a bunch of cities in Russia holding matches.

But I would be very happy to see “big events” in AS. Even though it may be hard to implement. And even though it was discussed sometime earlier. I guess.

Of course this is just speculation as I have no idea how demand is implemented, but would this even require a software change ? Just manually tweak the demand higher a few days before the games, and after the finals, bring it back to normal.

My issue with the events model is that it provides a big boost of luck to a select group of players who were lucky enough to set up in the relevant market. It would also favour established markets- which are already easier in many ways- due to the likelihood of major events affecting demand happening in wealthy, first world countries (the Olympics are not going to sub-Saharan Africa). 

While there are elements of luck in the game already, I think this would be taking it too far. And I'd only be up for it if it were balanced by adverse factors too- for example if a particular market took an equivalent hit due to a negative event such as a typhoon, SARS (and this is supposed to be a fun experience!).

In which case a 'Chance' card is effectively being introduced into a game which is currently predominantly based on numbers and strategy.

All that said, some of the demand mechanics I do find a bit odd but I imagine the behind the scenes work would be massive.

it was stated in the past that this game focuses on strategic decision making and that short term demand fluctuations will not be simulated

I know it wont be implemented but i would love a slight variation per day. Maybe make Mondays have-2% demand vs a friday etc

That would be nice but in theory, should not Mondays and Fridays be pretty similar in demand (on Mondays businessmen travel to work in other cities, and on Fridays, they come home and others go on the weekend) and Tuesday - Thursday should be low like mentioned -2%? Just some thoughts...

That would be nice but in theory, should not Mondays and Fridays be pretty similar in demand (on Mondays businessmen travel to work in other cities, and on Fridays, they come home and others go on the weekend) and Tuesday - Thursday should be low like mentioned -2%? Just some thoughts...

That's not exactly true these days.

A typical business trip these days is following:

• Fly there
  • Do your business
  • Come back

If the second bullet (do your business) is short enough (eg a single meeting, workshop etc that lasts say 6 hours), then this means that you fly there either with a late night flight the day before, or the early morning flight of the business day. And then you take the first available flight back.

Very few businessmen spend the entire week at the destination. I just spent just 48 hours in New York, the flights took 15 hours on top of that. Had there been another flight options, the trip would have lasted even less.

But traditionally Tuesdays is the quietist day for business travellers outside of the weekend

How about another type of approach.

The ORS treats people (the PAX) as though they are robots, they choose their flights with mathematical certainty.

Real people are not like that. Sometimes they make their choices based on irrational thoughts. Howabout doing the same in AS ?

For example, even if you are rated #1 on a certain route in the ORS, occasionaly certain number of of PAX (this would be random as it is very debatable on how to model it) may still favor the number 2-5 airlines instead.

Practical example from real life. Travelling from a city in Europe to another city in the US a certain Icelandic airline seems to give the best deal in terms of price, schedule and PAX comfort (well, that doesn't really vary between airlines these days). However I was prepared to pay a couple of hundred euros extra to fly the airline I always fly as I am chasing the next tier on their Frequent Flyer Program (which I know is irrational, but I just want it).

I think this discussion is pointless at this time.

The new feature, booking classes, that will be the next big thing to come, will already change the way flights are being rated, as there will be passengers with different priorities.

While a certain randomness could be added, we should probabaly wait and see for that. When will that be? Well, who knows, but I sincerely doubt anything else regarding passenger demand will be introduced before the booking class feature is through - one way or another…