How long a flight is too much?

So Qantas are starting a non-stop PER-LHR within the next few months, using B787-9's. 

I guess this will finally settle the Emirates/Qatar squabble over who has the longest commercial route :-)

But how far is far enough? For me, LHR-LAX is as long as I ever want to fly again! I'd actually rather pay a bit extra and stop for a while at ORD/ATL etc...

Each to his own I guess, how far is too much for you?

It depends which airline, which booking class etc.

FRA-LAX once was brilliant in business class of a 747, very often it was just a terrible flight and much too long.

LAX-AKL is even a bit longer I guess but it was a very pleasant stay on board. Both directions.

Aircraft type is also going to influence. An A380 or B787 are by far more quiet and have clever ways of making flying more natural. I can’t imagine LHR-PER on a 787 is going to feel much worse than LHR-LAX on a 767/747

Very true, my last flight to the USA was on a Norwegian 787, LGW-FLL was a smooth run across the pond. 

Many many years ago (more than 20) with 747 in the economy class from FRA to SCL was definitely too long... 

I am not really agreeing on the "better aircraft, better flight" theory. I have had 10 hour 747 flights feeling like nothing while 10 hour 787 flights feeling very long.The plane itself is a small factor in my opinion with seats, food, crew and entertainment being much more important. What I also believe is very important is the level of tiredness. If you are very fresh before the flight it would feel that bad. I also believe the company and entertainment are very important. For example get some offline music and audible books on your phone and with proper headphones the flight might be very enjoyably. I certainly recommend some proper noise cancelling headphones, the Bose QC35II and Sony WH-1000XM2 are certainly fantastic for flights. I prefer the Sony because they have touch controls making use easier but the sound, noise cancelling and price is the same.

Many many years ago (more than 20) with 747 in the economy class from FRA to SCL was definitely too long...

In 2013 I did EZE-FRA with Lufthansa in a 747 (in economy). On top of the flight, we had to wait 3 hours on the tarmac ready to go, due to bad weather. Surprisingly I do have the long flight in quite well memory.

About 3 weeks ago I did LAX-SIN on United in Business. It was 17:15 over and 15:30 back on a 787-9. Not that bad, but definitely pushing the comfort level.

It was the first time I took a nonstop to SIN. The last time I flew to Singapore was on United from ORD-HKG-SIN on a 777-200 and it was about 24 hours from Takeoff in ORD to Landing in SIN. Honestly preferred that over the direct flight.

Well, as most people mention, it depends. My most comfortable flights, has been business class on Qatar, flying KTM - DOH - CPH. Also premium economy on Norwegians 787 are very recommendable - I did that from JFK to CPH.

My absolutely worst flight was from PEK to LAX on an Air China 777. Horrible seats, horrible pitch, horrible legroom, chinese infotainment (was flawed, couldn’t choose english) - and personal electronic devices was prohibited. I was simply starring into a seat for 12 hours  :lol:

and personal electronic devices was prohibited. I was simply starring into a seat for 12 hours  :lol:

Where does that happen?

Where does that happen?

From China to US. On Air China. The rule was even enforced on the plane. People were told to put electronics away. Don’t know if that’s still the case.

From China to US. On Air China. The rule was even enforced on the plane. People were told to put electronics away. Don't know if that's still the case.

I think it's still the case. and it's not only Air China, pretty much all airlines from mainland China have the same rule... generally 'flight mode' is designed all for nothing :lol:

Tablets are normally allowed, but not phones. I once was told to turn off my phone in flight mode watching a movie, while the guy next to me had his tablet fully on (not in flight mode). That was perfectly fine.

And the CAAC has recently revised its rules which now allows airlines to also allow less stringent rules during flights. But not all airlines have adopted those (yet).

Wow, had no idea of that. Previously when tablets were actually useful I used to travel with one, but nowadays when phones are bigger and laptops smaller I see no need of tablets. Let´s hope they relax the rules quickly. 

Just sleep on the plane, I used to do AMS-FRA/MUC or HEL to PEK-CSX that leg from Europe to China omg what sweet dreams even with Air China. However CZ A380 is sooooo small compared to LH :frowning: can’t sleep with my legs in the seat on front of me XD. That was a direct AMS-PEK

So jealous of those who can sleep and work on flights haha. You will always find me doing some Transport Fever campaign or Mini Metro.  

Just sleep on the plane, I used to do AMS-FRA/MUC or HEL to PEK-CSX that leg from Europe to China omg what sweet dreams even with Air China. However CZ A380 is sooooo small compared to LH :( can't sleep with my legs in the seat on front of me XD. That was a direct AMS-PEK

Don't get me started with CZ's A380 or just CZ... Happy they are out of SkyTeam by the end of 2019. 

By the way, why don't you pick the CZ flight from Frankfurt non-stop to Changsha? 

In a couple of months, I'll be flying the non-stop service from Singapore to Newark. 

In a couple of months, I'll be flying the non-stop service from Singapore to Newark. 

Rip, though really cool for any avgeek. 

Don't get me started with CZ's A380 or just CZ... Happy they are out of SkyTeam by the end of 2019. 

By the way, why don’t you pick the CZ flight from Frankfurt non-stop to Changsha?

Starting in AMS was cheaper but yeah that was my ex girlfriend so not going to China anytime soon I will fly to Osaka Bangkok or Sao Paulo next May Holliday. 2020 I have a whole exchange year in Japan