Using Same Flightnumber

Hi,

Is it possible to use the same flight numbers for the same route a few times a day ??

I want a b737 between A and B a few times a day. So i set flight HEI 101 and flight HEI 102 for the return trip.

Then i want to use flight 101 again on the same route with the same plane ??

Is that possible . Because when i want to add my second HEI 101 it says its already in use ?

In real world they use the same flight number for the same trip several time a day also right ?

Regards

no. the same flight number can only be used once per day and only on the same route

and working in operations at an airport, I have never had an airline doing what you are proposing.

You are confusing it with real world airlines using the same flight number for return leg, so A-B-A is the same flight number. But this is not possible in AirlineSim.

okiedokie ... thanks

You are confusing it with real world airlines using the same flight number for return leg, so A-B-A is the same flight number. But this is not possible in AirlineSim.

Can you do a via flight A-B-A ?

But why would you want to do that ? Normally airlines use odd numbers outbound and even numbers inbound to their hub.

Don’t know about the via flights

Regarding flight numbers that is not true. Every airline has its own system

Can you do a via flight A-B-A ?

But why would you want to do that ? Normally airlines use odd numbers outbound and even numbers inbound to their hub.

In AS you cannot, no. Flights cannot have the same origin and destination, even if they have a via in-between.

Real-life airlines would want to do this in order to limit how many flight numbers they need. For each airline there are only 10000 possibilities for all flights, own-operated and codeshares. Example AA: flight 4510 which operates PHL-YUL-PHL:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL4510

For each airline there are only 1000 possibilities for all flights, own-operated and codeshares. 

Flight numbers can have four digits, so there are 9999 possible flight numbers for each airline (assuming they don't use 0, which I have never seen and don't know if it is allowed at all).

Some US airlines use the same flight number for different flights (one domestic, another international). At first I found that pretty confusing, but then again, if you have too many flights, what else should you do? Unfortunately, that's not possible in AS.

Flight numbers can have four digits, so there are 9999 possible flight numbers for each airline (assuming they don't use 0, which I have never seen and don't know if it is allowed at all).

Yes, of course I missed a zero there! Fixed now...

Flight number zero would be pretty cool, but I suppose that the old-school computer systems might not be set up for it.

Well i would like to see using the same number for same flight from a to b.

Like HE101 from LAX-SEA and HE102 from SEA-LAX … and that 2 times a day for example.

I now have 8 flightnumbers on that route in a week.

Well i would like to see using the same number for same flight from a to b.

Like HE101 from LAX-SEA and HE102 from SEA-LAX … and that 2 times a day for example.

I now have 8 flightnumbers on that route in a week.

Imagine what confusion this would cause in real life (air traffic control, baggage, passengers, booking systems...) and you'd know why each flight number may only be used once per day. The number is explicitely there to determine which of your flights from LAX to SEA is which...

Norwegian was more clever than that, I am boarding D8773 DXB-HEL in about 8 hours. Here the airline code is D8, so if they named all their subsidiries like that they could effectivly have 99999 flightnumbers ;-)

Which brings me to another question, D8 is an Irish subsidiary of DY (Norway), how can they fly between UAE and Finland ?

Norwegian was more clever than that, I am boarding D8773 DXB-HEL in about 8 hours. Here the airline code is D8, so if they named all their subsidiries like that they could effectivly have 99999 flightnumbers ;-)

Which brings me to another question, D8 is an Irish subsidiary of DY (Norway), how can they fly between UAE and Finland ?

That subsidiary is registered in Ireland so I think that’s why it is allowed because it is technically an Irish airline. A bit like how Norwegian itself is registered in both Norway and the UK meaning it can do LGW-JFK direct.