Connecting Passengers

Just somthing that has been confusing me.....

I understand the the concept of A -> B -> C but will the passengers from A connect further on to D? If B -> C is an internal flight will the passengers from A use the connection C -> D? In other words how many legs will connecting pax take?

Hope that question makes sense. Thanks and sorry if that info is available elsewhere... I couldn't find it.

They will only make 2 connections (ie. A>B>C) 

Thankyou. So my strategy of two hubs in one country, one going North/East and the other going South/ West with a trunk route between them is not a good one for International routes. #thinkagain

I have to correct things a bit: max two connections is indeed right, but that means A-B-C-D is possible (connecting at B and C).

I have to correct things a bit: max two connections is indeed right, but that means A-B-C-D is possible (connecting at B and C).

Thank you...thats what I really meant ;)

Now I am really confused :unsure:

A-B-C-D connections do happen? So KRT - JED - RUH - LHE for example will get connecting passengers on both stopovers from KRT? I will get connecting pax from KRT on the RUH to LHE leg? This is what is important so needs clarifying in my mind.

You can have 3 legs at 2 connection airports, or one ground network trip at the beginning or end of trip and one connecting airport.

Now I am really confused :unsure:

A-B-C-D connections do happen? So KRT - JED - RUH - LHE for example will get connecting passengers on both stopovers from KRT? I will get connecting pax from KRT on the RUH to LHE leg? This is what is important so needs clarifying in my mind.

Yes that is correct, sorry my fault 

Okay no problem... Thankyou for the clarification. Top support... thanks guys.

While possible, I’m not sure that this is a good idea. Every connection drastically reduces attractiveness to the pax. Essentially I don’t think you’ll get many bookings this way and lose out to single-hub airlines at nearby DOH, DXB, IST, THR, KWI, BAH, even KHI.

My advice would be to rather focus on one of RUH or JED and offer connections in all directions there. You could perhaps structure it by having four waves, alternating north/westbound and east/southbound to maximise connections at the beginning.

Saudi Arabia actually has pretty decent domestic demand, so I’d start there, connecting every Saudi airport with your hub.

Once you’ve built up a strong hub at one of them, you can think about the other.

My 2 cents, anyway.

To add, as you grow, you will find having two independent hubs (JED, RUH) is actually good idea a syou can multiply connections. Then, even the double connections would get more attractive as you offer even more pax connection options. But that's once you grow and have thousands of weekly departures in each hub... not a good idea in the beginning.

Thanks for input much appreciated.

I'm not actually just starting out, I've had this airline just over a year. I have a very strong domestic market with all ariports connected. I have 2,400 flights out of JED and 1,400 out of RUH as there isn't much in the way of domestic destinations in the East of the Country. Currently I am running 112 flights daily between the two using A320's and 321's in four waves and will be increasing that as they are pretty much fully booked.

The International flights I try to schedule to tie in with the JED > RUH waves. Some work extremely well but I have two huge hubs next door of rival airlines so I struggle with routes that you would think would be good, particularly into Europe. I just seem to get better load factors if the flights from RUH go East and the flights from JED go West not sure why that would be.

How long can pax wait between connecting flights?

8h usually, on Devau it’s extended to 15h.

Same goes for cargo.