Travel Class & Inflight Service

I think that we should have the choice to have premium economy as a travel class. Also we should be allowed to not serve any food but instead have a buy onboard service. 

Well, use EcoPlus seats ... voila ;)

I think that we should have the choice to have premium economy as a travel class.

I think that we should have the choice to configure aircraft in a totally different way compared to the current possibilities but I am sure that there are developments in the pipeline.

Well, use EcoPlus seats ... voila wink.png

Well, the selection of EcoPlus would be valid for the entire Economy Class and not for two or three rows in a narrow body-aircraft. The current way to configure cabins is rather unrealistic and penalize all players who want to simulate realistic seating-configurations. Try to put 168 seats into an Airbus A320 as a quality-carrier and see what happens in highly competitive markets here in this simulation. My solution at the moment is a split of configurations for individual markets. This means that each type has two different configurations as a respond to market-conditions - one normal and realistic configuration and one with much less capacity in a move to offer a much improved Business Class. For example, my A320s are configured either in a 147-seat layout (this is 1990s) or a second one which reflects a configuration of only 131 seats. 166, 168, 174 or even 180 would be far better to improve cost-structures IMO. The only operational advantage is that I am able to schedule specific aircraft on longer missions due to lower payload-requirements to lift these people. The range increases considerably.

Regards

I think that we should have the choice to configure aircraft in a totally different way compared to the current possibilities but I am sure that there are developments in the pipeline.

Like how?

Personally I would prefer that a LOPA (Layout of Passenger Accommodation) could be shown with the option to configure the cabin to the individual needs and according to the requirements of the FAA/JAA etc.. The current system penalizes standard-seating IMO and allows configurations which are in several cases highly unrealistic and in real world economically not viable. However I admit that the system allows to do business with unrealistically configured aircraft in a profitable way. Companies in real life would be happy to successfully operate a CRJ100 with less than 25 seats - many companies in real life suffer from problems to operate the 50-seat CRJ100 with 50 seats profitably. This impression shows that even such airplanes are doing great at Airlinesim.

Somewhere in the forum I read that there are evaluations to change the way to calculate the space in the cabin or am I wrong?

I would also favor a much higher flexibility of the number of seats offered in each booking class. Many airlines adapt the size of the Business Class and Economy Class in narrowbodies according to the demand of the actual flight. A flexible divider acts as a separation and a flight attendant adjusts this divider prior to boarding of the passengers. Airlinesim dictates a fixed number for each selected booking class.

For example: My MD-87s mostly offer 109 seats each and in real life, one airline operated the MD-87 with 109 seats and changed the number of Business/Economy from a minimum of 20 Business to a maximum of 70 while the minimum for the Economy Class was 39 and the maximum was 89. Such a flexibility would allow me to offer 55 Business and 54 Economy on the first flight, 37 Business and 72 Economy on the second flight and 70 Business and 39 Economy on the next flights which obviously shows a high demand for Business Class. The separation was a curtain. The first rows had a little higher seat-pitch (similar to the EcoPlus) but the 109-seats allowed the airline to use the entire for 109 Economy passengers if needed.

Regards

Although it might be nice, but only a few airline operate 'Premium Economy' so I don't think it's one of the top priorities.

Don't see the point in onboard sales. You will then have to make your fare say 25$ lower to stay attractive and then you get 25$ in onboard sales? So where's the point? Or how do you want to determine how much you sell? Incorporate a 'Kiosk manager' into the game?

The current way to configure cabins is rather unrealistic and penalize all players who want to simulate realistic seating-configurations. 

pff, simulate realistic seating-configurations is for the unreactive ... try something new. to copy the real world is boring. and those, who want pure realism should invest money in a real airline ... or ask for a "realism"-server. 

@MD-80.com:

We have in fact been planning a new (graphical) seating tool for a while. But as it's usually the case, we stumbled across a huge pile of issues that need to be taken into account: How precise do we want seat sizes to be? How flexible should their placement be? How do deal with "non-standard" types like fish-bones or suites? Where do we get the exact measures for available space? How about changing certifications (think additional emergency exits etc.)? How to deal with galley and lavatory locations? And do we account for lavs/galleys in the belly? If so, does the player have to place the stairs? Or are they at fixed locations? If so, where do we get the specs from? How important is the shape of the fuselage? Should we take into account the narrower fuselage in the back? If so, what effects does that have on the graphical interface? Speaking of which: If we support non-standard forms, do we use images or will an approximation using rectangles do? If not, where do we source the required images?

And that just the stuff that comes to MY mind. I can already see fits being thrown like this: "WTF?!?? Everybody knows the emergency exit on a B-XYC is 2.78 inches further back so you can't place those seats there. What kind of bullshit is this game? How can anyone take this product seriously?"

Concerning variable cabin sizes ("movable curtains"): This is not an issue with the seating system. It's one within the ORS. It would probably be possible to make the cabin sizes variable per flight number, but once the capacities are booked into the system, we can't adjust them anymore. Changing this would require a general overhaul of how the booking system works.

So, in summary: The current system serves the purpose rather well, given the fact that this is a game after all. That being said, we are thinking about a better, more realistic system but are stumbling over a bunch of implementation problems as mentioned above, especially on the research-side of things.

@martin: Thanks for your explanations!

I think there is no need for a lot of variety in the choice of aircraft config. If AS has no business and goverment aviation, so the choice more seat config is not necessary. In AS users can restrict international standard seat pitch for regular flights.

For all aircraft types can make a choice of 3 or 4 options of factory default cabin config.

For exlample:

Airbus A-320 —

Variant 1: C10 (86 mm) Y156 (81 mm)

Variant 2: Y178 (81 mm)

Etc.

If the user wants to order some special сabin config, Let agrees with the administrator and waits )))

Personally, I think every operator using a 81mm(8.1cm, <4") seat pitch measurement should be taken out back and shot. They’d get incredible seat density ratios though.

Personally, I think every operator using a 81mm(8.1cm, <4") seat pitch measurement should be taken out back and shot. They'd get incredible seat density ratios though.

Sorry for the error, 810 mm, of course. =81.0 с. )))

Personally, I think every operator using a 81mm(8.1cm, <4") seat pitch measurement should be taken out back and shot. They'd get incredible seat density ratios though.

My worst flight was an 11 hours transat with airberlin. They had a pitch of 30 inches (76 cm) - that was "dense" - though 31 (79 cm) is the industry standard I think...

My worst flight was an 11 hours transat with airberlin. They had a pitch of 30 inches (76 cm) - that was "dense" - though 31 (79 cm) is the industry standard I think...

Economy class seat pitches vary between 28"-34", depending on the airline and the model of the aircraft, and whether the aircraft is due to be replaced soon. The general trend is to replace existing economy seats with slimline seats so they can reduce pitch further to gain an extra row or two of seats. If they can, they’ll also add another seat by reducing existing seat widths and/or aisle width.

Standard: