Help with Traffic Rights?

I am new to the game not sure I fully understand Traffic Rights.  I guess I am in violation because my flight are not getting any load for my flight HNL-AKL.  My base is in Den.  I have some other flights that go to Mexico and Canda with out any issues so I thoguht I could just do one direct flight to AKL. 

HNL-AKL is no problem, only for NAN-AKL you don't have traffic rights. When you take a look a route management, you can see red or green dots below origin and destination - these indicate your traffic rights for passengers and freight.

Ok. I was wondering what the Red Dot was.  That helps a lot!

Sorry one more question.  I am guessing because I only have a few flight into HNL a day I am having trouble selling any seats on the HNL-AKL?  The return flight AKL-HNL is selling just fine.  Most of my routes to this day have been out of my hubs and I have not had to many issues filling flights.  Just I learning the game by trial and error. I am guessing if I did a VIA flight it might help with the Passengers maybe?  Just hate switching things around to much with out fully understanding what is not working. 

Passengers booking on routes look at the ORS ratings of the flights that follow that route. Check out the Online Reservation System and put in the route of HNL to AKL. It will give you a list of the ratings of the booked flights and you can compare yours to competitors and see how you stack up. The ORS is generally the main way how passengers determine which flights to take.

Keep in mind, though, that another important part is transfer passengers. If you are having trouble with flights from HNL to AKL, then you might want to put a plane on a route from AKL to somewhere in Australia that matches up to the landing times of your HNL-AKL flights.

You may also want to look at interlining with someone based in HNL, preferably one that doesn't fly to AKL much, or at all. Interlining is a great tool if used correctly.

With those points, you should be able to get that route some more passengers and make it more profitable.

Great Thanks for the pointers.  I am trying to find a little more informaiton on Rating / Eq.  Does that relate to the seats/price and the service provided on the flight?

Partly. The ORS is a rating based on a combination of factors. What I suggest is going to a Flight Detail Report page. You can get to them in several ways. An easy way is to find a flight in the Route Management section. Click on where you can see the link labeled 'details'. It is on the right hand side of the page. You can also find them on the "Flights" tab in any of your aircraft's pages.

If you click on "details", you'll get a page listing the costs and revenues from that flight. It's pretty detailed. However, this isn't what you're looking for. At the top of this information window, there's two tabs. One is for "Costing". The other is for "Flight Rating". You will be wanting "Flight Rating". In that tab there's a bunch of ratings from different aspects of the flight. The three at the top are "Product Overall", "Price Performance Ratio", and "Image Overall". Looking through this page will give you an idea of what effects what.

When it comes to the ORS, the actual rating is (or is very close to) the Price Performance Ratio. You won't actually get a number off this Flight Details Report page, but you will get an idea with the number of green bars as to how the flight will rate on the ORS.

When you are looking at the ORS page and the ratings, the one that matters more is the second rating, or the one on the bottom. The top number generally corresponds to the "Product Overall" rating on the Flight Detail Report, while the bottom number seems more closely tied to the Price Performance Ratio. The ORS rating is first ranked on the bottom number, and all things being equal, passengers will generally book on the higher ORS rating flight first. Understand that the ratings take into account more than just these numbers. As stated on the FDR, flights tend to have higher rankings for direct flights and lower rankings for connections. In other words, you can't look at the Price Performance Ratio and figure that's exactly what the rating will be in the ORS. You'll need to check on both at varying intervals.

There are a lot of little nuances and quirks in the Airlinesim equations, and of course they never make them public. So all I've stated here are simply guidelines that I've learned in trying to play this simulation for about 3 years.

The ORS rating is first ranked on the bottom number, and all things being equal, passengers will generally book on the higher ORS rating flight first. Understand that the ratings take into account more than just these numbers. As stated on the FDR, flights tend to have higher rankings for direct flights and lower rankings for connections. In other words, you can't look at the Price Performance Ratio and figure that's exactly what the rating will be in the ORS. You'll need to check on both at varying intervals.

PMing you and OP

One word here:

First ORS rating is important for connections, second ORS rating is important for direct bookings.

For direct flights, it's the price/value rating (second, or bottom one) that matters. You need as high as possible to get direct pax bookings.

For connecting traffic, it’s the “flight valuation” rating (the first, top of the line rating) that matters. You can have high P/V rating and low FV rating (e.g. you have bad seats, bad onboard service, and very low price) - you get high P/V rating that is important for O/D pax, but the flight value (how pax see and feel the flight) will be low…so also your connection ratings will be low.

Whoops. Didn't realize your airline is based in Denver. Disregard the talk about Australia. I thought you were based in NZ.

keep in mind, though, that the best ORS rating doesn't get you all the pax until your aircraft has been filled. Pax are distributed, weighted by the ORS rating. the exact formular is unknown (to be at least :-/ )

Thanks everyone for the great wealth of information.  I have been playing for a few months and figure out a few things on my own.  I had always just looked at the Flight Details page for informaiton and have had pretty good luck.  I guess the compitation is starting to get a let stiffer so just puting in new flight with out a little research is not going to work anymore.

I am looking at the ORS and it seems to make sense.  What settings do most people us when look at with the ORS?

Earliest Departure in 0?
Latest Arrival in 48?
Settings All Check?
This Make the most sense with out to much extra information it seems.  If i was to change something about the flight does the ORS update when the departure airport updates Demand calculation?

Changes to service profiles, prices, etc. only effects flights that still have to be added to the system.

for example, you already fly a route daily and increase the price. Only new flights (those in 3 days) will have the new price.

if you now add a second rotation to that route, those flights are booked only now and will all show the new price.

Regarding the mentioned research, wikipedia (at least the english version) is a surprisingly good source for traffic statistics

Regarding the mentioned research, wikipedia (at least the english version) is a surprisingly good source for traffic statistics

That's right... unless you want to invest some money into CAPA or ch-aviation subsriptions and membership.

Also I find www.flightstats.com as a good source to indicate traffic patterns to/from certain airports.

While some routes will not work in AS and some that work in AS will not work in RL (e.g. a flightstats shown route operated by daily 752 game me actually 1 pax booking per day and I was the ONLY one in ORS listed), you can see how many departures are there at the airport. The number of departures is indicative of the overall demand  for the airport in AS.

So look at ORS I have better price and higher rating yet not getting full bookings Where the other person is?  Den - YYC My Flight RWA 95 Rating 42 Price 173.  Example US 309,311,185 Rating 35 Price 187.  I guess writing this I was thinking could it be connections from my Hub in Denver I have less options. 

Yep, that's the issue. ORS rating does matter somewhat, but connections is what fills your flights. If you're wanting/needing to fill that DEN-YYC flight, the next plane you get, have it land in Denver 90 minutes or whatever the turnaround time is, coming in from the south. Maybe MEX, GDL, PHX.. even ABQ or ELP. It'll take maybe a week, but if you do it right, you will see those bookings on the DEN-YYC flight increase. Guaranteed.

Thanks again for the help understanding the system.  I get it some what but when it takes long time to see the results it is hard to tell sometimes.

It's also (nearly) impossible to tell where transfer passengers are coming from. It would be easy with three offices and one aircraft, but once you get to about three planes and ten offices, forget about it.

Best advice is to just get the planes, get them flying, and try to find a system that works for you on arrival and departure times.

Hi,

You wrote:

Den - YYC My Flight RWA 95 Rating 42 Price 173

Is the 42 rating the top line or the bottom line?

Because if it is a bottom line that your rating is actually very bad and you will not get almost any O/D booking.

And also if it is the bottom line rating, your top line rating will be even much lower (somewhere in the 10's) and that one is important for connecting passengers and with such low top line rating (10's)you would not get many connecting passengers either.