Build additional runways

It would be nice to be able to build additional runways to add more slots to the airport. Landing fees will go to the runway owner. For each airport it should be determined if it is possible to build additional runways since some airports are constrained by terrain (Gibraltar) or congested urban areas (Heathrow).

Adding runways will increase airport size and transfer time

The main problem is it would not be fair (or realistic). The airline with the most money would be able to dominate airports even more than currently so.

Once the new runway is open slots should be available to every airline, not just the one that build runway. It will enable other airlines to add frequencies to congested airports and reduce dominance of big players. On the other hand, landing fees will go to the runway owner.

I don't support this.  I like the realism of the game and the fact it uses real world information.  There are quite a few runways that are shorter in AS than in real life, which means you can't operate jet services to them, but they are steadily being fixed.

However, I wish that slots were 30 minute slots and not 5 minute slots - would make the game more usable.

I'd also support having to pay for slots, with larger airports costing more.  They should always be available if you're willing to pay the right price.

One of the main cornerstones of the game is its realisim and attachment to the real world. So for that reason we take real Airport design, runways that can be used simultaniously or only single runways into account to determine how many Slots will be available on a certain Airport. The Suggestion of expanding Airports by Players is not new and was done several times in the past. The clear answer from the Team of AS is, that this will not happen.Slot Problems are real in nearly every Airport in real life and here in the game as well. The second aspect is what Ianmanson said. We don't want that Players that have a lot of cash will control most of the Airports. This as said will not be fair nor will it be realistic. Airports that have a new runway or new Airport design that may have an Impact to Grand more Slots are checked by us on a regular base or can be reported via a Support ticket to us and we will check the available Information and if necessary increase the Slots. AS is liked by many many Players because of its realisem and Detail. A lot of Players in AS that started a small niche Company with a good strategy have grown over the time ... Inch by Inch. Sometimes you see big Airlines went bankrupt or deleted their Airlines so a huge amount of Slots and opportunities will be available. But this takes a lot of Patience and will not happen over night. Also we are working on ways to improve the game as well as make better use of the existing Slots and thinks will improve with AS 6.2.

But what about 10+ terminals/cargo centers built on existing airports, mostly by large companies? I might be missing something obvious but what is reasoning behing decission to introduce available land and terminals?

Well why should I pay for a runway and everybidy can use it? As I am have said sugested before that we could build runways to our terminals and others pay my price to use the runway. Any dominant airline of a big airport will take all slots as soon as they see them as many of them have atleast a couple of hundred millions in the bank.

How about building new airports? ;) Just kidding ...

Currently there isn't much more than slots, that is limiting growth. If you would grant any dominant airline to build their own slots, it would just dominate regional markets even more. Globally, the flight offers would increase immediately, being detrimental to the flight prices and leaving new players only little space to compete.

Well they will still have a little chance, there is still a chance as whitout the slots there would not even had been the little chance.

Look at LHR they did build a new runway when they did build T5.

I am pretty sure, that with unlimited slots new entrants on a late stage server would have no, absolutely no, chance to start a profitable airline in a dominated market. While for most 8-bar-plus airports today, slots are one limiting factor, with unlimited slots a let's call him 'unfair incumbent' could just through out some bn for slots, use a lot of medium sized aircraft for very competitive prices. By this way, a new entrant just doesn't receive enough demand to survive.

The opportunity to spot niches is way higher for older game worlds and as there are limitations for big airlines, there is on most if not all worlds the option to start a successful new airline.

Well they will still have a little chance, there is still a chance as whitout the slots there would not even had been the little chance.

Look at LHR they did build a new runway when they did build T5.

LHR is having only 2 runways .... they like to build a 3rd one but for now T5 is there but not a 3rd runway.