Why so many pilots?

I have 47 ATR72-210 and 6 737-200's.

When I look in Personnel Management, it says I require:

344 Flight Crew for the ATRs

48 for the Boeing.

On top of this I require 196 Pursers and 564 flight attendants. 

Why do I need 7 pilots for each ATR if they only need 2 pilots?

Does this have something to do with the transfer of these aircraft to my home base?

Will this requirement decrease when the XFERs are done? Will I have to lay these people off or are they eliminated automatically?

You need 8 pilots per plane. I would not belive 2 pilots would work 24/7 all year round, they are actually forbide to by law.

And we are actually on the low side, in real world you would need 16 pilots.

20 hours daily duty X 30 days X 2 pilots per plane / 80 hours monthly duty. And let’s not get into rest requirement, pilot scheduling, standby duty, illegal time, etc. I think we would be running well over 25 pilots per aircraft.

43.PilotsPerAircraft.png

http://www.pprune.org/flight-ground-ops-crewing-dispatch/513313-how-many-pilots-per-plane.html

It depends on what kind of airlines, the one LCC I specifically know use a standard 1:5 ratio to calculate minimum crew requirement: 1 aircraft requires 5 sets of crew (1 CAPT, 1 FO, 4 FAs). That's 10 pilots per aircraft.  

Since AS doesn't have crash, incident, delay, weather disruption, etc, I bet they also assume the pilots are always in top notch condition, don't have any personal thing/family matter that come up suddenly, don't take annual leave, don't go to recurrent simulator training and check, thus not require a lot of reserve pilot, so 8 pilots per aircraft is about right around the minimum requirement. 

Gotcha. Thanks guys!

Those 16 pilots I said aren't that far from United's 15.5 pilot level.

thank God, AS don't use that 16 ridiculous number. We don't have chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in AS, lol.

All the pilots have gone. Bye bye. 

All the pilots have gone. Bye bye. 

I see the pilots have now been reset to zero ... I think this should not have been done reset to zero ... maybe to a reasonable number of 5 or 10,000

There were tens of thousands of pilots from "regular" liquidations, especially on 737/320/E90/CRJ/Q400 series, before the multiplication effect ocurred.

There were many major liquidations of big airlines on practically all game worlds during this summer ... so pilots should not have been reset to zero.

In fact, I was contemplating to remove the "feature" of pilots being returned to the pool completely as I see it as a broken one. Many had the opportunity to get their hands on a lot of cheap pilots, new pilots will show up again in the future, so I really don't see a huge issue here.

In fact, I was contemplating to remove the "feature" of pilots being returned to the pool completely as I see it as a broken one. Many had the opportunity to get their hands on a lot of cheap pilots, new pilots will show up again in the future, so I really don't see a huge issue here.

I agree not a big issue, but free pilots were helping a lot :(

I agree not a big issue, but free pilots were helping a lot :(

agreed, and I just made the mistake a few days ago of making some pilots redundant. Oh dear.

In fact, I was contemplating to remove the "feature" of pilots being returned to the pool completely as I see it as a broken one.

But in real life furloughed pilots do indeed go to a worldwide pilot pool … and they can be rehired by other airlines. They do not go to work flipping burgers or doing bike messenger deliveries. So there is nothing unusual to have that feature in here as well.

But in real life furloughed pilots do indeed go to a worldwide pilot pool ... and they can be rehired by other airlines. They do not go to work flipping burgers or doing bike messenger deliveries. So there is nothing unusual to have that feature in here as well.

The demand for pilots today is very low and a pilot under 1000 flying hours can almost forget a job whit a large airline if not a miracle happends, sadly many pilots today are flipping burgers or doing bush flying to increase there hours. In the old days a job in aviation was a dream and they were VERY well paid.

Yes while they may be flipping burgers in order not to sit at home watching TV (meaning: a temp job) they are still in “the pool”. In other words, if somebody gets interested in their skills, they can be hired immediately. Thy do not cease to be pilots even if they flip burgers (at least not for some time as long as they keep their status current).

I agree that (of course) a pilot market exists in reality. But the mechanism we have in AS right now is nowhere near the way it works in reality. First of all, reality doesn't have bugs that cause major parts of the world's population to suddenly become pilots over night ;). Then the whole thing is - as the name suggests - a market, so "prices" in terms of wages and HR costs rise and fall with supply and demand which is not the case in AS either. In AS, the "feature" is basically a way to park pilots outside of the industry for them to be immediately rehired once they are needed. While they are parked, they don't age, they don't loose their skills and they don't start another career. That's what I mean by "the feature is broken". It does not serve any purpose other than reducing costs in an unrealistic fashion.

But then, there should be option to move pilots between subsidiaries, for example. Because if reduction of costs by hiring from-pool pilots is unrealistic, then paying severance to furloughed pilots (to just hire them again by a different subsidiary) is unrealistic increase of costs. And then, in a situation when the pilots would not go back to pool (e.g. the feature does not exist anymore), company would have to pay severance, and then its subsidiary would need to pay for training of new pilots. Pretty unrealistic as well, and would be "broken" too. So if in the future the feature to return pilots to pool is done with, then there should be an option to transfer pilots to a subsidiary (even via assets management, they after all, are human assets).

What a thoughtful developer, lol. As much as I love to have unlimited and free supply of pilots, indeed it kind of broken one. There are no such world-wide freely available pools of pilots. Every country protects its local pilot market with a set of regulation. A jobless pilot can't be instantly hired in other countries without his native license endorsed by local authority, and often time they required to already have the type rating required, including a certain minimum hours on the type. And those things are certainly not free.

Pilots also need to maintain its currency within certain period of time. Beyond that period, his license is kind of expired and he need recurrent training to make him legal to fly again. Every country might have different regulation, in US, 14 CFR 61.57 dictate that pilots need to do 3 take off and landing within 90 days to keep him current. There's no free recurrent training as well. 

Now assuming all the legal issues have been fulfilled, the pilot is still current with his type rating, the company still need to train the pilots to operate according to the airline SOP and COM which will be different from other airlines. A certain hours of line training will be required, under supervision of instructor pilot, and only after the completion of checkride by examiner pilot then the pilot can finally be fully inducted to normal line operation.

So yeah, no free hiring of pilots.  B) it costly to hire and to maintain those cool aviators, lol.

I’ve wondered why the pilot management section exists. The entire process seems superfluous to me, serving only as a one-time charge as pilots can only hold one type rating, akin to the purchase of seats (assuming seating configuration never changes). The hiring of all other staff (and assignment of flight attendants) is automatic, so why is the hiring of pilots treated differently? Additionally, there is that weird but very reproducible bug that can assign unhired pilots to aircraft, thereby reducing the cost of your weekly wages. (support ticket 1966, Dec 2013)

The demand for pilots today is very low 

There is a pilot shortage here in the US.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/coming-us-pilot-shortage-real

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304851104579361320202756500