Scandinavian sub forum

Hello, Hej, Hallo,

Currently there are quite many sub forums in many different languages from all around the world. AirlineSim has truly become a global game lately and there are also more Scandinavians coming so I would suggest having a Scandinavian forum. Scandinavian is not a language it is rather a region in the north of Europe including Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The 3 main languages are extremely similar and we as a people are mostly united nowadays with similar politics. Previously we have all been in war invading and occupying each other but we are currently very good friends with free borders between us and we have very similar languages. Lately I have been seeing an ever growing flow of new Scandinavian players joining AirlineSim and we would also want our own subforum. Most Scandinavians can understand all main 3 Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish and Norwegian) though there is a difficulty in speaking orally for some people. In this forum you could have the possibility to write in all 3 main languages and include all Scandinavians wherever they come from. This would also increase the number of Scandinavian players as it would show that AS also cares about them. I do not think translating the game would be necessary as most Scandinavians at least understand English but having a sub forum where we can talk in our languages and discuss the game would be nice. Many people can read, talk and write in all 3 languages like me.

A possible launch date could be 17 June 2016 it is the day of establishment the Kalmar Union the last union of all the Scandinavian countries. This would also celebrate 619 years since the union was established.

If you want this to happen please like this post or comment here.

Om du vill att detta ska hända vänligen gilla det här inlägget eller kommentera här.

Hvis du ønsker, at dette skal ske så som denne post eller kommentere her.

Hvis du vil at dette skal skje må du like dette innlegget eller kommentere her.

The more likes and comments we get the larger is the chance this will happen. Hopefully it will happen anyways as well.

Christian

The linguistics term is “mutually intelligible languages” similar to the differences between English and American. (As a Canadian, I’m patriotically obligated to disregard American as a dialect of English in retaliation for the automatic subtitling of English-but-not-American speakers on their TV programmes.)

Jeg er helt enig.

(I totally agree!)

But when it's supposed to be a "Scandinavian Board", shouldn't the Finnish be included as well? ;)

And in all seriousness: Is there a term that describes "just" the three countries - Norway, Sweden and Denmark - that share very similar languages? If there is an official and recognized one, I'd prefer to use that.

…shouldn’t the Finnish be included as well?

Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, IIRC ;)

Finland has for a long time been occupied by Sweden but they speak a very strange language quite similar to Hungarian though 50% of the finish speak Swedish as well as they are thought Swedish in school as a secondary language. Otherwise finish is extremely different and not understandable. The Finlandssvenska as we call it is a swedish with finish accent but they usually have a difficulty understanding Danish and Norwegian, it is like French and Germans speaking English.

Finland has for a long time been occupied by Sweden but they speak a very strange language quite similar to Hungarian though 50% of the finish speak Swedish as well as they are thought Swedish in school as a secondary language. Otherwise finish is extremely different and not understandable. The Finlandssvenska as we call it is a swedish with finish accent but they usually have a difficulty understanding Danish and Norwegian, it is like French and Germans speaking English.

You need to brush up your history a bit.

Finland has never been occupied by Sweden. For some 700 years we were one single country that fought wars together and pledged allegience to the same king. Even today the Swedish era is still very visible in Finland even though only 5% of the population declare it as their native tongue. For example we call the Baltic sea “Eastern sea” even though it lies south-west of Finland. Estonians call it correctly the western sea, they do not have the long symbiosis with Sweden.

Occupation only took place in 1809 when the Russians invaded the country. After the russian rule we decided it would be best to rule ourselves.

Yes, it is very common to refer Scandinavia as Sweden, Denmark and Norway. I somehow detest the term, I like Nordic a lot better (that includes Iceland and Finland).

So If that is really necessary, I’d prefer a Nordic Forum where you can write in swedish, norwegian or danish.

However I’d like to discuss the idea of isolating the discussions to different language forums. It may make sense for german or french where you have big chunk of population that simply do not understand english, and this being a German game, it is understandable from service point too. However in Nordics, practically everyone speaks and writes english fluently. The best way to kill the forums is to spread the discussions into so many different languages that none of them have enough users to support it.

Finland has been occupied by Sweden until 17th September 1809 when we lost it to Russia sadly, then we occupied norway instead. Finland was ruled by the swedish king and was presented through Swedish symbols. You are right that only 5% of the population have Swedish as a mother tongue but 50% consider they know at least a bit swedish.

Yes, it is very common to refer Scandinavia as Sweden, Denmark and Norway. I somehow detest the term, I like Nordic a lot better (that includes Iceland and Finland).

That's weird, I've always heard the term "Scandinavia" as including Finland, never excluding it. Maybe it depends on the language?  :unsure:

From Wikipedia:

Scandinavia[a]/ˌskændɨˈnviə/ is a historical and cultural-linguistic region in Northern Europe characterized by a common ethno-cultural North Germanic heritage and mutually intelligible North Germanic languages. It comprises the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. Modern Norway and Sweden proper[b] are situated on the Scandinavian Peninsula, whereas modern Denmark consists of Jutland and the Danish islands.

The term Scandinavia is usually used as a cultural term, but in English usage, it is occasionally confused with the geographical term Scandinavian Peninsula, which took its name from the cultural-linguistic concept.[1] The name Scandinavia originally referred vaguely to the formerly Danish, now Swedish, region Scania. The terms "Scandinavia" and "Scandinavian" entered usage in the late 18th century as terms for the three Scandinavian countries, their Germanic majority peoples and associated language and culture, being introduced by the early linguistic and cultural Scandinavist movement. In foreign usage, the term Scandinavia is sometimes incorrectly taken to also include Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Finland, on account of their historical association with the Scandinavian countries and the Scandinavian peoples and languages; however this broader group of countries is officially and commonly known as the Nordic countries.[2]

The reason some people miss understood the term "Scandinavian" is the word itself includes Finland and Iceland in some other languages. As far as i know, in eastern Asia, the Japanese and Chinese word "Scandinavian" can include Finland and Iceland, though the accurate meaning of that word does only include Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.  

Chinese make it even worse when translating SAS because it is called "Nordic Airlines"  after the translation. This just makes "Scandinavian" and "Nordic" become the same word. 

From Wikipedia:

Scandinavia[a]/ˌskændɨˈneɪviə/ is a historical and cultural-linguistic region in Northern Europe characterized by a common ethno-cultural North Germanic heritage and mutually intelligible North Germanic languages. It comprises the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. Modern Norway and Sweden proper[b] are situated on the Scandinavian Peninsula, whereas modern Denmark consists of Jutland and the Danish islands.

The term Scandinavia is usually used as a cultural term, but in English usage, it is occasionally confused with the geographical term Scandinavian Peninsula, which took its name from the cultural-linguistic concept.[1] The name Scandinavia originally referred vaguely to the formerly Danish, now Swedish, region Scania. The terms "Scandinavia" and "Scandinavian" entered usage in the late 18th century as terms for the three Scandinavian countries, their Germanic majority peoples and associated language and culture, being introduced by the early linguistic and cultural Scandinavist movement. In foreign usage, the term Scandinavia is sometimes incorrectly taken to also include Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Finland, on account of their historical association with the Scandinavian countries and the Scandinavian peoples and languages; however this broader group of countries is officially and commonly known as the Nordic countries.[2]

Yeah, in school my geography teacher always used to exclude Finland from Scandinavia.

Finland has been occupied by Sweden until 17th September 1809 when we lost it to Russia sadly, then we occupied norway instead. Finland was ruled by the swedish king and was presented through Swedish symbols. You are right that only 5% of the population have Swedish as a mother tongue but 50% consider they know at least a bit swedish.

This is going off topic but never mind :wink:

No, we were not occupied. We were an single country. The whole idea of there being a Finland was develop during the russian occupation. Yes, ethnically people were (and still are) different, but the country was one single swedish kingdom with provinces all over the place, including the areas we today call Finland. Often the population in the east was more loyal to the reigning king than the population in the south. Back then there was no such rule as a clearly defined national border, a town or province might shift its allegience on a whim. In the south this happened often as areas fell under danish rule and bavk again. In the east this did not happen.

Finland was back then no more occupied than Scotland or Wales is today.

The reason some people miss understood the term "Scandinavian" is the word itself includes Finland and Iceland in some other languages. As far as i know, in eastern Asia, the Japanese and Chinese word "Scandinavian" can include Finland and Iceland, though the accurate meaning of that word does only include Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.  

Chinese make it even worse when translating SAS because it is called "Nordic Airlines"  after the translation. This just makes "Scandinavian" and "Nordic" become the same word. 

Like I said, it could be a language thing. In Portugal I've always heard the term as including Finland (btw, just checked the Portuguese wikipedia and it's ambiguous on the subject, stating both definitions of the term). 

Part of the confusion could be because the term "Scandinavian Peninsula" seems to include part of Finland?

Though you had your own language that is in no way related to Swedish which was spoken by peasants and the poor similar to Samiska which is spoken by a group of people in Lapland. The rich and influentials spoke Swedish. You are right that they were just one country unlike Norway which was clearly occupied by Sweden.