BrExit and air-traffic repercussions

Hello all,

since as of this morning UK has voted for a Brexit, which will most likely result in a withdrawal of the EU-Openskies agreement for the UK, the question is, whether this will be reflected on AS as well, especially thinking about live servers.

As in reality EZY and RYR will get a good feel about it, I should think that it should be no different in AS. Which means Europe based carriers will no longer have traffic rights within UK, and more importantly, UK airlines will no longer have access to the intra-EU market.

Of course all this is to be decided during the 2 year negotiations concerning article 50 of the EU-charta.

I would like to start a discussion whether AS should consider following reality once this has all be negotiated, or if AS should keep on running as it has.

I know that previously airport changes (such as FRA's new curfew) weren't implemented. Yet this does not affect airlines the same way. This would not run their routes "invalid" as it would with no longer existing slots, but rather withdraw the traffic rights, leaving it to the airlines to decide whether to run the routes as before, or consider changing it.

Please, refrain from discussing the politics behind Brexit itself, or the negotiations to follow. This thread is meant to be discussing what you would like AS to do, once the real-world negotiations are finished.

I'm looking forward to hearing your responses. Please also feel free to vote in the attached poll, on which scenario you prefer.

Have a good day everyone, and enjoy a fruitful discussion :)

cheers,

Jona L.

I believe we should also make Chile investment open country as in real life it even permits domestic cabotage by foreign based airlines with no Chilean AOC required.

Plus, this week Brazilian Congress approved resolution to allow 100 percent foreign ownership (also denominated Save Gol Law), this has yet to be conformed by Senate later this month but it’s widely expected to pass.

I know i asked support about the treaty change before, and the answer was no effect will be done on the live server, but i believe it will be better at least we are able to change or add treaty to a live server, maybe through voting from players who have compaines in the countires that will be affected (of course, long-term players, not just some players set up a compeny termperatly before the vote and wish to influence the result). 

I do believe we need to have the players' permissions though, instead of change it right the way. They are the people who will affected, and they should be the people who make the decision. 

right now, there was a referendum regarding the UK. the UK gov’t has not yet called on article 50 of the lissabon contract. and when they do, they will be a EU member for up to two years. therefor, I believe discussing it now will not help anyone, as there will be about twenty more of them over the next two years. and it is not unlikely, that the UK will negotiate new agreements and might, in the end, have the same or similar rights

Completely agree with Yukawa.

The UK is still part of the EU. The referendum does no mean that the UK has left the EU, it expresses the sentiment of the people of Britain (more like, 51.9% of 72% of the electorate). We should wait and see what agreements will be made between the two bodies and then discuss if we should implement those new regulations, no point in speculating what will happen.

There is a petition which made it to parliament regarding the request for a second referendum, much can still change  :)

EDIT: 

the UK gov't has not yet called on article 50 of the lissabon contract

Yukawa: it is in fact the Lisbon treaty. You'll probably recognise it as LIS  :P 

since as of this morning UK has voted for a Brexit, which will most likely result in a withdrawal of the EU-Openskies agreement for the UK

Not sure exactly why. If Norway and Switzerland (among others) are part of the agreement, why would the UK not be? EU membership is not a requirement for a single aviation market.

A really nice discussion here

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1336197&sid=52b23a2be0b79122003de158f7430117

The matter of the fact, that for UK to be member of EEA as Norway or Iceland and have single aviation market access, they would still need to obey by the EU rules without having a seat at the table where EU rules must be made (plus would still need to continue heavily contributing to the common pot) - exactly (opposites of) what Brexit was about.

Completely agree with Yukawa.

The UK is still part of the EU. The referendum does no mean that the UK has left the EU, it expresses the sentiment of the people of Britain (more like, 51.9% of 72% of the electorate). We should wait and see what agreements will be made between the two bodies and then discuss if we should implement those new regulations, no point in speculating what will happen.

There is a petition which made it to parliament regarding the request for a second referendum, much can still change  :)

Yes, the vote is non binding, but as soon as article 50 of the Lisbon treaty is invoked, a political process is launched to have pre-negotiation-negotiations, to sort out which contracts will remain active (and in what way) during the negotiations. I am not 100% familiar with the exact regulations on what has to remain active, and it is uncertain what the negotiation will yield anyways.

Point is: It might very well be that the openskies treaty is up for discussion a lot earlier.

Also it would be nice to have a public opinion about this before it is to be considered for gameplay changes, rather than having to scramble it together short term, or worse, live with a decision made by 2 people based on what they think might be the best choice. Especially since we can use this, to let them know beforehand how the players feel about such changes, so they can also plan ahead and think of ways to implement it or not.

This is not about a final decision, this is to present options for the developer(s), to let him/them make a decision based on what the paying customer would like best.

Why don't you wait until it happens?? It is a referendum NOT a withdrawal yet! When UK invokes article 50, there will be an exit negotiation and that is when we will see and know what kind of relationship UK will have with the rest of Europe. Until then, everything here is just speculation. Whatever may happen, I expect that the game will follow its tradition of imitating real life scenarios. It is a reality based simulation game after all! In the interim, why not enjoy what you have and stop sweating it - it may take up to 2 years!!

Even longer than 2 years as the official announcement to start negotations will not take place before October. Even that month is not sure. And as you are not familiar with the rules for an exit of EU: for the period of negotiations of all contracts and aspects of this exit, all contract and rules and regulations stay as they were set in 1975. The process will take very long and is very complicated - 24 months will not be enough time to clarify all the issues which will come up during these negotiations.

There is no hurry and to ask this question today (the day of the referendum) is bad timing.

@ highscore

No. I doubt there will be a consens about more time as stated in Art. 50 III 2. HS EU. https://dejure.org/gesetze/EU/50.html

The EU can also de facto kick member states that cause trouble for the whole union, Art. 7 III EU. https://dejure.org/gesetze/EU/7.htmlUK not honoring democracy and freedom could be such a cause, for example.

UK wants a Brexit? Fine. We needed a possibility for an example anyway, so let's push the Tommys off the cliff asap and as hard as possible.

Alternatively UK can go on their knees and beg for pardon. Either way, the time of British cherry-picking is done, as well as most of their influence in Europe.

Wrong, Syriana.

The official announcement of the government is not yet sent to EU. So it can take longer than 2 years. That's what I have written. Also EU parliament knows that it will be impossible to regulate everything within 2 years. They will make the negotiations period longer if needed.

It's not the problem of the EU it may take longer than two years. I doubt the UK will get cherry picking. It's all about sending signals to others.

The extension of the 2 year period wold need to be agreed upon unanimously by all of the remaining 27 members ...

CAPA just released the first part of their Brexit Leave analysis.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/brexit-and-aviation-part-1-open-pandoras-box-and-anything-can-happen-but-status-quo-is-likely-288477

Of course every member of the EU has to agree to the longer period. But also everybody already knows that it is impossible to negotiate everything within 2 years. So they will make this period longer as no other way to move forward. And yes, it is also the problem of the EU with all parties involved. It will take much more time to sort everything out than if a new member is accepted. How long is the period to become a member? It takes more than 2 years - and the regulations for the entry of the EU are same complex as now with the exit of GB.

Please, refrain from discussing the politics behind Brexit itself, or the negotiations to follow. This thread is meant to be discussing what you would like AS to do, once the real-world negotiations are finished.

@ Highscore:

Please re-read the above quoted. This is not meant to be a ranting/discussion thread about Brexit or the negotiations.

If you want to discuss your opinion(s) on whether you wish AS to follow real world legislation in this case (and hopefully for the future), and on whether you would like to see it happen on live servers as well, feel free to do so.

Thanks for avoiding a thread-hijack.

It was not me who started a political discussion in your thread. But this dicussion is way too early as it will take at least 2 years as set in the rules - and who knows who is playing AS in 2 years or if AS even exists in 2 years.

I think we should all agree that it's quite early to discuss anything. We can resume this discussion in 18-20 months, roughly 6 months before Brexit will be effective (by default, if no extension is granted). That would still make plenty of time to discuss this among players who will be playing in Europe at that time. So far it looks the majority prefers that AS pays attention to real life treaties (regardless if they were to be implemented to live or new worlds only).

Now, a more actual question is, I am wondering why isn't Serbia, Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania included in EU Treaty on AS (which should really be called ECAA Treaty), while Croatia is?

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/international_aviation/doc/airareas.jpg

... so let's push the Tommys off the cliff asap and as hard as possible.

... und wir fahren, und wir fahren, und wir fahren gegen Engeland.

I am sorry Jona, it was stronger than myself.

As for the question at hand, I agree with those who suggest to solve problems when they arise.

Cheers,

Jan

Here's the CAPA's three part series on Brexit and consequences (or not) for European aviation:

Brexit and aviation Part 1: Open Pandora's box and anything can happen. But status quo is likely

Brexit and aviation Part 2: lower air traffic, economic uncertainty. UK-EU relations up in the air

Brexit and aviation Part 3: Importance of Asian models and liberalisation moves will be accelerated